For this flatbread, you can either purchase a store-bought pizza dough
or use the basic recipe below. A great recipe for getting your whole
family involved, you can top these flatbreads with anything you like.
Specific measurements for the toppings are not provided, as it is
really a matter of choosing fun toppings, chopping them up, and
sprinkling them on the flatbread. You can also just use olive oil and
the Za'atar to make a simple flatbread, cut it into thin slices and
serve as a side accompaniment to any meal.
For the dough:
3 C All-purpose flour
1 tsp Salt
2 Tbs Olive oil
2 Tbs Sugar
1 1/4 oz Package Dry Yeast
1 C Warm water
Za'atar spice blend
Red, yellow or orange peppers
Ground meat or sausage
To make the dough:
Putting it all together:
- Combine sugar, water and yeast in a measuring cup.
- Mix flour and salt in a large bowl and make a well in the
- Pour yeast mixture and oil in well and stir into dry ingredients
until you have a soft dough.
- If dough is sticky, add a bit more flour.
- Knead until smooth on a slightly floured surface.
- Place in an oiled bowl, cover with a towel and let rise until
- Punch down and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 500℉.
- Cut the dough ball in to four equal pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough into a thin round and place on a baking
- Rub a bit of olive oil over the surface of the dough and
sprinkle it with Za'atar.
- Add your toppings.
- Bake 5-10 minutes, until the flatbread begins to turn a golden